Course Offered Civil Engineering
- B. Tech. course offered by Department of Civil Engineering focuses on a wide range of subjects dealing with planning, designing, construction, maintenance and operation of public and private facilities, starting from simple building to all types of infrastructure facilities.
- The course also covers the challenges of pollution, traffic congestion, drinking water and energy needs.
- The course curriculum equips civil engineering students with the basics required for all kinds of civil engineering works
Careers & Placement
Civil Engineering students can start their carrier with number of organization. Some of the Reputed Organizations are listed below:
Private Sector Companies
- Larsen & Toubro (L & T)
- Hindustan Construction Company (HCC)
- GMR Group
- Gammon India
- Soma Constructions
- ERA constructions
- Consolidated Construction Consortium Ltd. (CCCL)
- Tata Consulting Engineers Ltd. (TCE)
- Fluor Daniel
- Public Works Department (PWD)
- Pollution Control Board
- Irrigation Department
- Forest Department
Public Sector Undertaking Organizations
- Engineers India Limited
- RITES Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (IOCL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
- MECON Limited
- Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL)
- Hindustan Power Corporation Ltd. (HPCL)
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (DMRC)
- Coal Indian Ltd. (CIL)
- Interested companies may send a mail requisition to the T&P cell for conveying interest for campus recruitment.
- Our T&P office will collect the required details and requirement online, methodology of short listing and the details/resume of short listed students will accordingly be submitted within a couple of days.
- If approved by you the T&P officers reverts placing a request for your visit / off-campus (as the case may be) & work out the days / itinerary of the visit which is mutually convenient.
- Allotment of dates for Campus Interview done.
- Availability of resumes for screening/ short listing is done.
- Shortlisted candidates are intimated / briefed to be ready on the designated date.
- Necessary coordination for corporate visit; pickup / drop, stay and hospitality is arranged.
- The recruitment process is conducted and offers released.
- Once the student is selected and offer is accepted, the student will be registered as placed and would not be allowed to appear for further interviews as per placement policy.
- To increase employability of student, Personality Development program is being designed by SGI, under which Regular PDP classes are being conducted to enhance communication skill and aptitude solving ability of students during placements.
- Regular Personal Interviews (PI) are being conducted to boost up confidence level of students.
- Classes for improvement of technical knowledge of students are being conducted on department level which prepares the students for placement and exams like Gate and PSU.
- The second year of course focuses on providing basics of Civil Engineering. Subjects like building materials and their properties, land surveying and properties of fluid are a part of curriculum in this year.
- In third year, knowledge of students is enhanced by teaching subjects related to the Design of Concrete Subjects, Analysis of difficult structures, water and waste water engineering and Transportation Engineering.
- In Final year, Focus of students is drawn towards the subjects like Design of Steel Structures, Water resource engineering and Construction Planning and Management.
Assessment of all courses is based on:
- Internal Evaluation (Sessional)
- External Evaluation (End Semester Examination)
Internal Evaluation is based on three components:
- Class Test Marks (Two tests & One Pre University Test)
- Teacher Assessment (Seminar, Quiz, Tests, Assignments)
External evaluation is conducted by Uttar Pradesh Technical University in the form of :
- End Semester Examination
- External Practical Examination
There are 11 sub disciplines in Civil Engineering:
XII with : 1. Phy + Maths + (Chem. / Comp. Sc./Bio) with Min. 60% OR 60% with qualified rank in UPSEE-15.
Direct Admission : 1. Rank in SEE-UPTU-15 Phy + Maths + (Chem. / Comp. Sc./Bio) with Min. 60% & 2. Diploma in Engg. With at least 60% or B. Sc (with Maths) with at least 60%.
Civil Engineers can find jobs in:
Government departments, Private and public sector undertakings, Research and teaching institutions etc.
Job opportunities for civil engineers are expected to increase faster than the average for all job sectors put together as the construction & infrastructure industry is witnessing tremendous growth in India.
The job prospects for Civil Engineers currently are at an all time best, with investments to the tune of 2, 00, 000 crore of rupees taking place in the infrastructure segment alone, over 20,000 civil engineers are needed every year. Added to these are the power plants, Industrial Plants & building, Housing & urban development, transportation and several other sectors of the economy; creating added demand for Civil Engineers.
The earnings depend on the status of industries employing civil engineers such as Central or State Government departments or private concerns & the nature of job. In India, a bachelor’s degree holder in civil engineering can receive a starting salary of Rs. 2.2 to Rs. 4.5 l. p. a. approximately. In about 10 years time the salaries are expected to grow 3 to 4 times to Rs. 8 to16 l. p. a. There are huge opportunities for overseas & international assignments, both with Indian and Foreign Companies.
Typical Career Path Scenarios for Civil Engineering are:
- Civil Engineers do find work at the construction site in a managerial position or in design, research as well as in teaching in government services or private concerns.
- They also work as independent consultants.
- Most engineering graduates start with jobs of responsibility, and as they prove their competence, they are given more and more responsible tasks, but within each subfield of civil engineering, and even within different segments of the market within each branch, the details of a career path can vary.
- In some fields and firms, entry-level engineers are put to work primarily monitoring construction in the field, serving as the “eyes and ears” of more senior design engineers; while in other areas, entry-level engineers end up performing the more important tasks of analysis or design and interpretation.
- More senior engineers can move into doing more complex analysis or design work, or management of more complex design projects, or management of other engineers, or into specialized consulting, including forensic engineering.
- In short, a Civil Engineer is trained to manage men, material, equivalent of all kinds and the financial aspects related to his work.
Civil Engineering labs are well equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure that includes superior Labs & computing facilities such as labs of Structure, Surveying, Hydrology and Hydraulics, Environmental, Geotechnical Engg., Engineering Geology, CADD lab, Concrete lab M.T lab etc.
Along with this the students enjoy excellent pool facility of academics and extra- curricular activities of the college.
The Department of Civil Engineering offers B. Tech degree as per U.P.T.U norms, the following labs offer consultancy works.
- Transportation Lab.
- Concrete Lab.
- Material Testing Lab.
- Geotechnical Lab.
|Larsen and Toubro (ECC Division) Ltd.||Omaxe Ltd.||Hindustan Constructions Ltd.||ERA Infrastructures Ltd.|
|Oriental Constructions Ltd.||Simplex Infrastructure Ltd.||Continental Engg. Ltd.||Delhi Jal Board|
|Proto Infosys Ltd.||KEC||Havells Ltd.||Kanwar Enterprises Ltd.|
|Piaggio Ltd.||Orissa Cement Ltd.||AIMIL Ltd.||ICICI|