Course Offered-Mechanical Engineering
B. Tech. course offered by Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME) encompasses the trend of brilliance as an exclusive class leader in mechanical engineering education and research. Department is devoted to explore competence in totality.
Career & Placement
Student after scoring in GATE exam have openings in various PSUs such GAIL, SAIL, BHEL, ONGC. NTPC etc. Beside this there is a fully fledged training and placement cell which undertakes the process of providing placement to students in various government organizations and private sector companies in the field of design, consultancy, maintenance, production etc.
- Interested companies may send a mail requisition to the T&P cell for conveying interest for campus recruitment.
- Our T&P office will collect the required details and requirement online, methodology of short listing and the details/resume of short listed students will accordingly be submitted within a couple of days.
- If approved by you the T&P officers reverts placing a request for your visit / off-campus (as the case may be) & work out the days / itinerary of the visit which is mutually convenient
- Allotment of dates for Campus Interview done.Availability of resumes for screening/ short listing is done.
- Shortlisted candidates are intimated / briefed to be ready on the designated date.
- Necessary coordination for corporate visit; pickup / drop, stay and hospitality is arranged.
- The recruitment process is conducted and offers released.
- Once the student is selected and offer is accepted, the student will be registered as placed and would not be allowed to appear for further interviews as per placement policy.
- Department is still to observe the first batch pass out students.
- The department offers one of the best undergraduate programs in the country. The course curriculum for the undergraduate programme gives the opportunity to the students to prepare for foundation courses as well as advanced specializations courses as per their interest.
- The department is committed to offer a set of electives so that students can plan their academic programme in advance. The course structure provides a optimal blend of compulsory and elective courses.
- The B. Tech. Program is divided into two differentials:
- A student has to go through a common programme called Core Curriculum. Most of the core curriculum is completed in the first four semesters. Remaining four semesters offer a large number of subjects in the field of mechanical engineering such as theory of machines, machine design, refrigeration and air conditioning, engines and compressors. etc.
- The core curriculum consists of a package of compulsory courses in physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering Sciences and technical Arts. It also includes several electives in humanities and social sciences, engineering sciences, and basic sciences. The curriculum also includes open electives such as operation research, quality management etc, which student can opt for the course from any department in the Institute according to their interest.
The sub disciplines of mechanical engg are:
- Mechanics having composed of statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, fluid mechanics and continuum mechanics.
- Kinematics which is a study of the motion of bodies (objects) and systems (group of objects), while ignoring the forces that cause the motion.
- Mechatronics is an interdisciplinary branch of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and software engineering that is concerned with integrating electrical and mechanical engineering to create hybrid systems.
- Robotics is the application of mechatronics to create robots, which are often used in industry to perform tasks that are dangerous, unpleasant, or repetitive.
- Structural analysis is the branch of mechanical engineering (and also civil engineering) devoted to examine why and how objects fail. Structural failures occur in two general modes: static failure, and fatigue failure.
- Thermodynamics is an applied science used in several branches of engineering, including mechanical and chemical engineering. At its simplest, thermodynamics is the study of energy and its use and transformation through a system.
- Drafting or technical drawing is the means by which mechanical engineers create instructions for manufacturing parts.
- Thermal Engg. Application in Power plant, Process industries.
- Aerodynamic finds application in Aerospace Industries.
XII with : 1. Phy + Maths + (Chem. / Comp. Sc./Bio) with Min. 60% OR 60% with qualified rank in UPSEE-15.
Direct Admission : 1. Rank in SEE-UPTU-15 Phy + Maths + (Chem. / Comp. Sc./Bio) with Min. 60% & 2. Diploma in Engg. With at least 60% or B. Sc (with Maths) with at least 60%.
- Mechanical Engineering is a core branch of engineering and thus finds extensive applications in all fields of engineering and technology.
- With the rapid rate of expansion in the industrial sector as the Indian Economy grows at a healthy rate, the employment potential for mechanical engineers is very high.
- Mechanical Engineers could work in many industries including private or public sector industries of various types and in various functions as Production Engineers, Works Engineer, Maintenance, Production Planning & Control, Quality Control & Assurance, Testing, Research, Development and Design, Technical Sales & Marketing, Service, Erection and Commissioning and several more.
- The need for Mechanical Engineers exists across almost all industry segments like Mechanical equipment and machines and tools; components like bearings, gears etc. consumer durables and white goods, aerospace, ship building and any conceivable product having parts and components. Mechanical engineers are also required in automobile, chemical, electronics, steel plants, oil exploration and refining, technical wings of armed forces, space research organization, etc.
- Further outsourced CAD / PROJECT PREPARATION / IT Applications and Software Development work related to Mechanical Engineering Industry segment absorb sizable number of Mechanical Engineers.
Typical career path scenarios for Mechanical Engineering are:
- Mechanical Engineers could work in many industries including private or public sector industries of various types and in various functions as Production Engineers, Works Engineer, Maintenance, Production Planning & Control, Quality Control & Assurance, testing, research, development and design, technical Sales & Marketing, service, erection and commissioning and several more.
- Mechanical engineers are also required in automobile, chemical, electronics, steel plants, oil exploration and refining,
- Process Industries technical wings of armed forces, space research organization, etc
- Several government departments including Posts and Telegraphs, Defense, PWD, and CPWD employ mechanical engineers.
- Aeronautical, agricultural, automobile, chemical, and power plants, as well as the railways, need mechanical engineers to design and maintain their machinery.
- There is a huge requirement for mechanical engineers in steel, cement; constructions, infrastructure (maintenance) and process industries, Engineering Procurement Construction and contractor firms (EPC), Power plants, Nuclear power plants, manufacturing and operations all offer bright possibilities & opportunities.
- Many Indian Companies in EPC (Engineering Procurement & Consultancy field) are expanding internationally, as well as several reputed MNC’s are setting up production facilities in India especially in Automobile & Components manufacturing and they are offering excellent employment opportunities to Mechanical Engineers.
The Department has nine well-equipped laboratories and one central workshop, to give students sufficient exposure to practical works compatible with the classroom learning and through workshop exercise.
|Applied thermodynamics Lab.||Machine shop|
|Heat & Mass Transfer Lab.||New Machine shop|
|Measurement & Metrology Lab.||Carpentry/Fitting shop|
|CAD/CAM Lab.||Smithy shop|
|Material Science & Testing Lab.||Foundry shop|
|Fluid Mechanics & Fluid Machinery Lab.||Welding Shop|
|Mechanics of Material Lab.||Sheet Metal Shop|
|Automobile Engg Lab.|
|Refrigeration & Air-conditioning lab.|